Only moments ago WordPress 3.5 was released. Time to update! But remember, backup first! This…
Yes, today is the 10th Anniversary of WordPress. And only 2 days ago I turned 56. With that in mind I did this tweet.
— Bob Dunn (@bobWP) May 25, 2013
But what I want to talk about in this post is the idea that Dougal Campbell came up with on his blog: WordPress 10th Anniversary Blogging Project. He noted it was time to think back over the last 10 years and reflect on what has happened. As a result, I am taking his suggestions.
When WordPress was released in May 2003:
- I celebrated my 46th birthday
- I had been married for 20 years
- I was still doing marketing and graphic design for print projects
- We had just recently moved to Anderson Island, a small island in the Puget Sound in Washington
- I was in my 17th year of owning and using Macs
- Celebrated our 10th year of our Cat’s Eye Marketing business
When I first started using WordPress in February 2008…
- The MacBook Air was released
- A total lunar eclipse crossed North and South America, Europe, Africa, and Southwest Asia
- Fidel Castro announced his resignation as President of Cuba
- George Bush was still president unfortunately
- We lost Mike Smith of the Dave Clark Five band
- The first generation of the iPhone was not even a year old yet
- I wouldn’t have done my first tweet on Twitter until May and open my Facebook account until September
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 was released
Since I started using WordPress…
- I have quit doing any print design
- We elected our first African-America president
- I’ve taught 129 workshops on WordPress
- WordPress has gone through 10 major releases
- I have tweeted 21,236 times
- I have lost more of my hair on top of my head
So there you have it. So much more has obviously happened in these time periods, but you as you can guess, also since WordPress was first released, my memory has also taken a small hit.
Cheers and here’s to another 10 years!