1. Put your URL—in clickable form— in your email signature line. It’s built-in visibility, every time you send a message. You can also add a short (one-line) description to entice people to visit your blog.
2. Link to a blog post on Twitter, but make it interesting. Ask a provocative question or offer help. Test your tweets to see which ones work best.
3. Use the social media ‘share’ buttons. Make it easy for someone to share your content by including Digg This, del.icio.us, Tweet This!, Facebook Like or other buttons at the bottom of each post.
4. Comment on other blogs. Though used rarely, this is one of the best strategies to drive new readers to your blog. Just make sure your comment is meaningful (not, ‘Nice post.’)
5. Include your most recent posts on your online profiles. LinkedIn, Biznik, and other communities now allow you to do this. It’s a good way to reach even more people.
6. Offer both ways to subscribe to your RSS feed. (More than 50% of people stil prefer email over a reader.)
7. Ask. This is often overlooked, but sometimes just including an invitation at the end of a post and pointing people to the signup spot can get you more subscribers.
8. Make your content engaging—and specialized enough. This may seem obvious, but the more specialized your topic is, the more you will draw a specific, and loyal, audience. If you don’t feel that your content is anything special, make this your first task. Because all the promoting in the world won’t get you more readers if your blog posts don’t shine.
9. Offer something of value for free on signup. A report, a tip sheet, an e-book: any of these will be extra motivation to push someone over to the subscription side.
10. Guest post on someone else’s blog. This is one of the best ways to get new subscribers. Find a blog with a similar audience as yours and propose a guest post to the author. Some readers will be curious enough about you to click over to your blog and check you out. Make sure your guest post is original (not recycled) content and make it the best post you can possibly write.