In our years in business, both our current WordPress-focused one and the marketing company we owned and operated for 20+ years, we have worked with a lot of nonprofits and provided pro-bono work to causes we believed in.
As we saw fundraising efforts move more and more online, certain concepts and strategies we learned over the years still apply.
Three Important Strategies to Consider When Fundraising
These time tested strategies for recruiting donors and raising dollars can be just as successfully applied in the digital environment.
People and Storytelling
Sometimes nonprofits jump on social and right away, they start in a direction that can backfire on them; they focus too much on themselves. They share a ten-year anniversary that nobody cares about. Maybe they publish photos of them taking oversized checks from donors. Or they report on how the dollars were used, but in a clinical, emotionless way. These are important, of course, but may not be persuasive enough to get more potential donors to open their pocketbooks.
Instead, consider a story. Talk about individuals and the positive ways they and their families have been impacted. Change the names of the homeless people but give them voices and a face. What are their hopes? What can the donor help create a happy ending to this story? What will $50 buy? $500? $1,000?
Easier to Keep Donors Than Finding New Ones
You may know this rule in business but it applies equally in the world of fundraising. I have interviewed experts who tell us that we should focus 80% of our marketing and communication efforts on retention keeping our current customers happy. Use the other 20% to get those new donors
When it comes to donors, keeping them informed, happy and proud to support you can go a long way in cementing those long-term relationships.
Make it Easy to Donate
There are many ways to set up your donation page. Facebook lets you do it and there are other sites that offer it as well.
But when it comes to your WordPress site, you need to decide where those donation forms and buttons will reside. Take in the design elements of your site and find those strategic spots to rais the interest of the reader to take action and donate to a specific cause.
With all of the available themes and plugins, WordPress gives you so many opportunities. When it comes to raising funds on your WordPress site, I recommend that you check out the GiveWP plugin. They have a powerful free version, as well as paid add-ons if you really need a specific feature.
Of course, there are many aspects to running a nonprofit and we have only touched the tip of the iceberg. And whether you have committed yourself 100% to a cause or you are just starting out, But if you are pursuing this endeavor, I admire your passion and wish you the best!
An audio option for this post.